Tuesday, January 31, 2012

red velvet. sweets & treats.

top: my version 
bottom: scratch recipe from smells like home.


I recently came across a photo (above) of some scrumptious looking red velvet brownies on pinterest... 
more specifically...
recipe via smells like HOME.

They looked so delicious that I was inspired to make my own, 
except I searched for a recipe with a box mix base. 
I barely have time for baking right now, so fast & easy is pretty important!

The recipe I tested out can be found at Duncan Hines
Super easy... but not so much the brownie consistency I was expecting. 

Ingredients
1 Duncan Hines box of Red Velvet Cake mix
3/4 cup butter (melted) - that's a stick and a half!!!
1 egg
1/2 cup water
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Frosting
1 can of buttercream frosting (or whatever looks good)

Baking Instructions
-preheat oven to 325 degrees F
-mix egg, butter & water in a bowl. add box mix & 
stir until everything is combined, and lumps are gone.
-add chips into the mix & pour the mixture 
into a greased 9x13-inch baking pan
-bake for 40-45 minutes. let cool.
-frost them up & eat!

In my bakers opinion, this recipe was definitely good, for a 
rich, red velvet, chocolate cake recipe... 
but the consistency was certainly not a brownie-esque.
It was actually more crumbly & messy then I had anticipated. 
None-the-less, it was delicious! just not as I expected.

Next time I'll take the long route and go from scratch, 
or just follow the recipe on the box as-is and make a super simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment